Friday, February 24, 2006

Friday Link Dump

Once again, I find that it's Friday and I have a big list of things that I want to post about before the weekend. Here are a few of them:

  • Romney Still Off National Radar Screen: There was a new WNBC/Marist Poll out this week that showed Governor Mitt Romney getting a whopping 4% of the Republican primary vote. This is up from less than 1% in October. At this rate, he might be able to break double-digits by the end of the year. Good thing he doesn't have a pesky re-election campaign to worry about. (Via Political Wire)

  • Leone Under Fire: Middlesex DA candidate Gerry Leone is now getting criticism for raising his profile by talking about the Entwhistle murder case to anyone who'll ask. Why? Because he'd end up prosecuting that very case should he win the DA's seat.

  • Astroturf LNG Blog: According to today's Globe, the Coalition for LNG Solutions is not the grassroots effort it claims to be, but is the product of a big PR firm trying to push the proposed terminal on Outer Brewster Island. I had added their blog to my blogroll, but I did wonder who was behind that effort. I still agree with their basic premise -- better Outer Brewster than Everett or New Bedford -- but I don't appreciate the trickery.

  • Must Read Articles: First, read Adam Reilly's piece in the Phoenix about how Christy Mihos must distance himself from the state GOP if he wants to win the governorship as an independent. Then read Laura Kiritsy's piece in Bay Windows about, in part, how the state GOP must distance itself from the national GOP if it hopes to win elections. In particular, Kiritsy argues, the state Republicans have been unsuccessful lately as they replace the Weld model (socially liberal/fiscally conservative) in favor of a more socially conservative model -- particularly one that alienates the LGBT community.

  • Ban on GOP Adoption: An Ohio state senator introduced legislation to ban Republicans from adopting, and is currently 'looking for cosponsors.' The bill was filed as a tongue-in-cheek retaliation for the ban on gay adoption that is currently being discussed in that state's legislature. (via DailyKos)
Also, I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been completely transfixed by the Olympic curling games. I'd never watched curling at all in my life, or even really knew anything about the game, but NBC has been televising most of the matches over on CNBC and I've found the them completely fascinating. The US men play for bronze today, so here's wishing them good luck.

What else is going on out there?