Monday, November 07, 2005

Sam Kelley on the Progressive Blog

Proving that Blue Mass. Group doesn't have a monopoly on prospective Lieutenant Governor interviews, Charlie Gallo of The Progressive Blog has posted an interview of his own with Dr. Sam Kelley, who is one of the three Democratic candidates who have announced so far. Here's a sample:

I’m running for lieutenant governor because I believe in Massachusetts. I believe in the people of Massachusetts. And I believe we deserve the right to health care, that our children deserve a quality education, and that all of our families deserve a guarantee of jobs and benefits to take care of their families.

I may not have held public office but I probably have more political and legislative experience than the others. I worked in Washington, D.C. I was a legislative assistant for U.S. congressman Jim McDermott. I worked with the Clinton Administration on health care, and worked to formulate their health care plans. For over 18 years, I worked with John Kerry, not only with fundraising, but also with definition of his policy around education and around health care. And I worked very hard with him on the presidential campaign. For over 10 years, I advocated on Beacon Hill, through the Mass Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, I’ve advocated for family issues, for substance abuse issues, I’ve advocated for sex offenders’ treatments, as well as protection of the public against level three sex offenders, and I’ve advocated for children’s issues.
Being a doctor, Kelley has a number of things to say about the diffrent Health Care reform initiatives, which you can read yourself. Also of note is that Kelley has a brand-new blog of his own. It will be interesting to see what he does with it in the coming year.