Thursday, June 15, 2006

Laughing Liberally This Weekend and Next

We just got back from "a small basement in Somerville" where Jimmy Tingle hosted Laughing Liberally: An Evening of Left-Leaning Political Humor. If you're a left-leaning person who likes comedy, or a conservative who can take a couple jokes at your party's expense, I'd recommend checking it out.

The show featured comedians Jimmy Tingle, Tim McIntire, Katie Halper, Dean Obeidallah, Baratunde Thurston and Julie Goldman. The only ones I was familiar with before this evening were Jimmy Tingle, who does a bit every morning on our local Air America Affiliate, and Baratunde, who I met briefly at last month's "Crashing the Gate" book signing and who happened to give me a copy of his book years ago outside a Cambridge screening of Fahrenheit 9/11. All the performers were great and I laughed my ass off. Even my wife was impressed -- and she was skeptical before we left, asking me "is this going to just be all Bush jokes?" There were some, to be sure, but it was much more than that. I thought it was hilarious.

The next shows are June 16, 17 and the 22-24 at 7:30 PM; with an additional show on Saturdays at 10 PM. More information and videos at Drinking Liberally Cambridge. You can also buy tickets online.