Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Romney vs Kerry?

Scot Lehigh wonders aloud if the 2008 Presidential election will bring us a matchup of Romney vs Kerry. Personally, I put the odds of that happening to around 300 to 1, and if it does turnout will be much lighter than last November. Think of a Bay State version of the 2000 Yankees/Mets World Series -- really exciting ifor the locals; not so much for everyone else. I think a Romney-Kerry matchup would produce nothing but snoozes outside of the Commonwealth, which may even help out a third-party candidate achieve relevancy.

I have a feeling, though, that the real Romney vs Kerry fight we're going to see will be in '06. Not that Kerry would give up his seat to run for governor, but from what I've heard he's itching for paypack on Romney who slammed him personally not only at the RNC, but in campaign stops in New Hampshire and Michigan. My educated guess is that he will push hard for the Democratic nominee in '06 and I have my suspicions that it might of been Kerry who nudged Deval Patrick into thinking about running. At this point Kerry is certainly more well known in Massachusetts than anyone the Democrats could put forward for governor and his help could go a long way.